I just wanted to share a useful tip for those that use Box.net (now Box.com). I was able to get myself a 50GB Box.net account for free and have started to use it more along with Dropbox.
If you have noticed, Box.net is very similar to Dropbox except that it costs money to upgrade to get the seamless syncing like Dropbox has.
There is no reason to pay for these apps as you can simply map the Box.net drive as a network drive on your Mac or Windows computer.
How to map Box.net drive on Mac:
- Open up finder
- Go to the “Go” menu and select “Connect to Server”
- In the server address, enter: http://box.com/dav (might need to try https)
- Press the + sign to add to favorite servers (optional)
- Connect and enter your Box.net account information
How to map Box.net drive on Windows:
- Go to Start → Computer
- Map network drive
- Select a drive letter
- Input http://box.com/dav as the folder (might need to try https)
- Select reconnect on logon
- Press finish and enter your Box.net account information
Let me know if you run into any issues trying to map Box.net as a network drive for your computer.
I personally have a combined cloud storage of 110GB of free cloud storage. The numbers break down to:
- 25 GB on Dropbox (I maxed out referrals and other free storage opportunities).
- 25 GB on Skydrive. (I was an early user of Skydrive)
- 50 GB on Box.com.
- 5 GB on Google Drive.
- 5 GB on Amazon Cloud Drive.
How much cloud storage space do you have?